pattern review · sewing

{ NEW LOOK 6148 } Version E

Hi again –NewLook_6148

Last week I told you about a new project I had cut out in Somethings Brewing. Do you remember ?

Well I finished that project, New Look 6148…and my something new totally worked! { YAY }. I made version E without the sleeves and instead of using a contrast fabric as such, I used a fine stretch tulle instead. I had never used stretch tulle before so this was completely new for me & Im so excited it worked. I had prepared myself for torture with this tulle in the form of puckering, pulling & whatever other nasty things one expects when trying something new but it behaved itself so well, I almost feel like it could become a friend. I made sure to always stitch with the tulle on the top so it was not able to snag on the feed dogs, & maybe this was my saving grace.tulle_on_top

The fushia pink is sari fabric { AGAIN } that I purchased in South Africa many years ago. The die-cut end with the crimped pattern was cut from the end of the sari & I was initially going to use this die cut panel for the entire front but then my inner voice pointed out it might be too much so I shifted it off to my left & Im pleased I listened to that inner voice. The back is plain, only following the gold border to tie it together.

I had planned to bias bind the tulle edges at the neck & arms with the fushia pink. I completed one arm & it looked dreadful so I pulled it out & left the tulle raw & simply folded over & stitched the fushia under. Since this made the tulle bigger at the arms, I worked two pleats into the tulle at the shoulders & neatened the raw edges.NL6148_tulle_edge

This top is by no means perfect.  I had already taken in the sides considerably when I fitted it the first time but it would seem I could have taken it in more. I also would have preferred if this sari was pure silk & not art silk but alas, the colour makes up for that! I also realised now that I could have tea-dyed the tulle slightly to make it match my skin colour more, something which Im sure I could still do now with care of course.NL6148_sari_pattern

Its a great pattern and really easy to construct. Had I had a full day to sew this, it would have been done in a few hours however I stole moments here & there { PLUS } the fiddling with bias tape & tulle resulted in it taking much longer than it should normally if stitched as is. Highly recommended with some adaptations. Im thinking a lovely lace contrast on the top or a bright colour block contrast may be on the cards for the next time I sew this.

Difficulty Rating *

Thanks all for stopping by x

{ Related Posts }

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “{ NEW LOOK 6148 } Version E

  1. Hi! I was looking on Pattern Review for a review on New Look 6148 and I stumbled upon your project. Your version looks great! I love the fabric you used.

    I’m a little nervous about the sleeves part since I haven’t tackled that yet. Again, I love your version and I’m excited to use the pattern!

    1. Hi & thank you so much. I have not made the sleeves for this top so I can’t say what the fit is like. My advice would be to cut the sleeves as a muslin first & fit these before attempting with your fashion fabric….at least do 1. It could save you a stack of heartache. The alternative is to either leave the sleeves off or change them to a cap sleeve if you not sure on the shape. Good luck.look forward to seeing your version of this.

Leave a Reply to Victoria Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s